Working in Bolivar

Why open a business in Bolivar?

Jefferson County is one of the fastest growing communities in the United States, with the population almost doubling in the last 20 years. Located only an hour and a half from the heart of Washington DC, many commuters choose the eastern panhandle of West Virginia as their home making it, by extension, part of the DC Metro area. Many businesses choose to take advantage of this prime location to bring their diverse services to the county. The Town of Bolivar is happy to welcome businesses with an interest in setting up shop in their community.

Licenses & Permits

Building Permits and Inspections

The Town’s Zoning Administrator is responsible for processing building permits and monitoring compliance with existing zoning and planning ordinances. More specially, The Administrator:

  • Processes permit applications
  • Reviews all building plans to ensure compliance with the building code
  • Inspects buildings under construction to ensure that they comply with the building codes
  • Reviews code compliance for residential and commercial properties, including property ordinance violations

The goal of the zoning and planning process is to continue to make Bolivar a desirable place to live and work, as well as a memorable place for tourists to visit. If you have concerns or suggestions that can help improve your neighborhood or community, please let us know.

What requires a Building Permit?

Properties in Bolivar are required to obtain Building Permits for:

  • New Construction
  • Temporary storage structures
  • Additions
  • Swimming Pools and Hot tubs(in-ground and above-ground)
  • All decks (front or back)
  • Clearing/Excavation(affecting more than 10% of lot)
  • Permanent Outbuildings/Accessory Structures  (greater than or equal to 100 sq. ft.) – including carports
  • Demolition(of structures greater than or equal to 100 sq. ft.)
  • Retaining walls
  • Change of Use permit (i.e. switching from Residential to Commercial zoning)
  • Conditional Use Permit
  • Variance Request
​Bolivar Business License

Anyone interested in conducting business in the Corporation of Bolivar must obtain a Bolivar Business license (view procedures here). The applicant is required to pay a $25.00 fee and provide a copy of their WV State Business License. The State Business license is mandatory before a Bolivar license will be issued. The licenses are dated for one year beginning in June with their renewal in July. Completed applications and the required fees may be submitted to the Town Office during regular business hours. To download the Bolivar Business License Application, please click here. For more information, please contact us at (304) 535-2476.​

Planning Commission Application

All persons, partnerships, corporations, joint ventures or other business entities must apply to the Bolivar Planning Commission for any extension, construction, sub construction, enlargement or removal of any building as defined in the Building Ordinance and the Planning and Zoning Ordinance. Applicants for subdivisions (more than one single family home on more than one acre of land) must apply under the Bolivar Subdivision Ordinances. Applications must be submitted before the commencement of any construction, enlargement, removal or use change of any building or structure. To download the Building Handbook, which contains the application form, please click here.

For Business Information, please click here.